Dante GT ceramic


This is our basis; a 1985 Pontiac Fiero with a V6 mid-engine.


Together with Daan Pol, Elmar Evers and Daniel Kunst; all 3D designers, we’re going to form a new body for this car.

The body parts-moulds will be made of EPS. Then we put a special clay mixture into this moulds. With these moulds we make ceramic parts that can be put back on the car again (and hopefully fit). A EPS router cuts out the shapes. We like the Lopoly shapes .

I’m working on this at the .ekwc, the european ceramic work centre in ‘s Hertogenbosch, in the Netherlands. These are the first sketches to get an idea..


Total demolition; removing the bodywork and the roof.


Today we scanned the chassis so we can make sure our body will fit:


To make sure our body will fit on the car, we used the 3D scans to measure. The Lopoly design is easy to change. The black parts you see through the model is the 3D-scanned original car chassis.


Well, it didn’t fit. So we changed the lopoly model in such a way it does fit. This is the almost finished model (the green you see through is the scanned Fiero):


Last weekend the grinder cut off the debris and left us with 2 pieces of the front fenders. It’s the front part (red in the picture above) which will be attached to the frontbumper (yellow).

and on the fiero:


We made a breakthrough…. it’s easier and faster to CNC-Mill the moulds instead of the pieces. It’s safes the time of making a plaster mould. The mould is 8% bigger because of the shrinkage of the clay.


And this is the first clay part.  I’m using a specialy mixed clay:

  • 46% K129 clay
  • 26%  WB 4256 clay
  • 16% M80 Molocite
  • 12% M30 Molocite
  • 0,5% Paperpulp
  • 0,3% Flax
  • and some water


To avoid cracks while drying and later when firing every piece needs a “shrinking-plate” and some kind of foundation to support it.


More moulds:

and here’s the final model:


Putting things into a scheme: drawing/milling/claying/shrinkplating/drying/firing


Here are some pictures of the progress.

First I fill the mould with a slab of clay.Those tiny mushroom-shaped things are for grip when I attach it to the car.

After that I fill it with eps-debris, this to prevent the piece would collapse when flipping the mould. Then I add a shrinking plate and on top of that an kilnplate.

And then… very gently the mould is removed…

The piece is ready to dry. This has to be done with great precausiousness, otherwise it cracks.

My studio is getting quit full..


First test piece is fired at 1050C;  so called “bisquit”.  At this “low” temperature the glazing will be better absorbed by the piece, giving a smoother glance. I put a underglaze on it to make an even surface. The glazed piece will then be fired again 1180 C; making it superstrong and supersmooth… in theory.


First glazing test at 1200C


The test result. Unfortunately the blue color isn’t as bright on the photo as in reality:

bot so blue


The studio is getting really full:


Today is firing-day. My calculations of the size of the Kiln nr:4 were a bit optimistic, only half of the 34 parts fitted. That means another firing this friday. One cycle of firing (1050 C) takes 30 hrs.


The fired pieces got out the Kiln just fine. Now the second load is fired.


Glazing; the last step.


YAY! The first parts got glazed and haven’t deformed that much! Now it’s time to fit it in place.


Back to my workplace with the Fiero and a lot of ceramic parts.


Let’s start…


No real problems yet, although some parts are a bit twisted.


Doing some “finishing touches” to get the car finished for the presentation at the ekwc this tuesday at 17.00




Arrival at the ekwc.


We attended the “good cause rally” at airport Twenthe. This rally is an event for children with cancer. It was a good place to test it. We did made a 90+ Mph but had some damage to the car due to heavy cornering. The left front tire hit the wheelfender and broke in pieces….

(photocredit Daan Pol)